Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Class lecture 01

January 20, 2011

I am taking a Professional Practice class as one of my final courses here at UNCG. This class is an investigation of business, legal and ethical aspects of professional practice in interior architecture and design. We learn through other students, staff and guests speakers. Our class is scheduled every Thursday from 2-4:50.

Our first class consisted of learning about what Interior Architecture was. I found this kind of odd seeing as I am in my fifth year and should know what I’ve been going to school for. We have had other classes that seem to focus a good deal on teaching us what we are actually being taught. It gets to a point where I feel like we, as students, are being convinced of what we are studying. We are told to a certain extent it will be hard to get a job because of our degree in Interior Architecture. Not many people understand what Interior Architecture is.

I used to go to UNCC for Architecture and transferred in as a 3rd year. My friends from Charlotte laughed and said I was going into interior decorating, but honestly I have been doing the same things as I did in Charlotte. We go through the full design process, use the same computer programs and learn basically the same information. It’s a different name and we are viewed more as interior designers, but the average person doesn’t fully understand what an interior designer is. Most hear the name and immediately think, curtain picker. This is not the case at all.

Throughout this course we are learning what we are capable of, what we have learned, and how we can apply our knowledge in the real world and hope to obtain a job.

What are we? We are a combination of architecture, interior design, and industrial design.

No comments:

Post a Comment